What is Pediatric Urology?
Pediatric urology, as the name implies, is the subspecialty field of urology that involves the management of genital and urinary problems that occur in children of all ages with a special emphasis on developmental difficulties that affect the kidneys, urethra, bladder and genital tract. Uro-genital problems can seriously affect a child’s quality of life if left untreated. So it is significant for your child to receive care at a urology centre dedicated to children or from a pediatric urologist.
Why a Pediatric Urologist is important for your little one?
Pediatric urologists are surgeons who can diagnose, treat, and manage children’s urinary and genital problems. If your child has an illness or disease of the genitals or urinary tract (kidneys, ureters, bladder), a pediatric urologist has the experience and qualifications to treat and look after your child.
What types of treatments do pediatric urologists provide?
- Evaluation and management of voiding disorders, vesicoureteral reflux, and urinary tract infections that require surgery
- Surgical reconstruction of the urinary tract (kidneys, ureters, and bladder) including genital abnormalities, hypospadias,epispadias and disorders of sex development
- Surgery for groin conditions in childhood and adolescence (undescended testes, hydrocele/hernia, varicocele).
- Evaluation and surgical management of kidney stone disease
- Surgical management of tumors and malignancies of the kidney, bladder, and testis
- Evaluation and management of urological tract problems identified before birth
- Evaluation and management of urinary tract problems associated with neurological conditions such as spina bifida.